The Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) on Tuesday urged Nigerians, especially those in the South, not to be deceived by President Goodluck Jonathan.
Buhari spoke through the Director of Media of the APC Campaign, Mallam Garba Shehu, in Abuja.
He explained that it was pertinent to draw the attention of well-meaning Nigerians to “the deceit, squander and looting associated with this administration.”
According to the campaign, the administration had been unable to deliver on its promise to construct the East-West Road, on which it had spent and continued to spend billions of naira.
He said, “It is on record that work started on the road in 2006, under former President Obasanjo but due to the activities of Niger Delta militants then, it was stopped midway and the initial contractor, Julius Berger, left the site.
“In 2009, work was restarted on the road. This time, to be handled by three construction firms to hasten its completion by 2011, as anticipated.
“It is pertinent to note that appropriations were made for the construction in 2009 and 2010, but after Yar’Adua’s death, work stopped on the road and money set aside was diverted.”
Buhari also noted that the administration was also trying to hoodwink the people of the South-East over the Second Niger Bridge.
He said contrary to the efforts of the Jonathan team to assure the people of the South East that the Second Niger Bridge had been awarded and now under construction, “the truth is that the PDP administration is only deceiving the people.”
The Buhari campaign team recalled that President Jonathan anchored his 2011 campaign in the South- East on the construction of the Second Niger Bridge. However, four years since then, the bridge is still at the drawing board and may not be realised under Jonathan.
The Campaign team alleged that the money set aside for the project had since been channelled into the re-election bid of President Goodluck Jonathan.