Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal of Sokoto State today inaugurated an advisory committee on the upgrade of the Shehu Shagari College of Education (SSCOE) to a university retaining the name of the late President Shagari.
Inaugurating the committee at Government House, Sokoto, Gov. Tambuwal said his policy pronouncement during the 22nd convocation and golden jubilee of the college and the subsequent approval of this by the state executive council meeting on 31 December 2020, informed its constitution.
Billed to submit its report in two months, the committee, according to the governor, is mandated to:
1) develop a well articulated philosophy, mission and vision; and, a set of objectives of establishing the university,
2) determine the current assets of the institution and conduct a needs assesment of it, in terms of manpower, infrastructure, land and instructional materials,
3) develop a master plan for infrastructure and program development in accordance with the National Universities Commission (NUC) guidelines; and also prepare an academic brief of the proposed university as well as to liase with the NUC with a view to assisting the state government in securing approval for the establishment of the university;
4) facilitate issuance of certificate of incorporation and amendment of the college8217;s law to that of a university; and, also
5) advise on any other relevant issue that will assist the government in the smooth take-off of the proposed University of Education.
The governor added that staff of the college willing to remain in the university and those who wish to transfer their services to other establishments in the state shall be so identified.
Headed by Prof. Muhammad Zayyan Umar,, the committee have as members Professors A. A. Bagudo, Abubakar Umar Dikko, Malami Umar Tambuwal, Nasiru Gatawa, Mansur Ibrahim (Mni) and Dr Mansur Isa Buhari.
Also on the committee are: Mal. Abubakar Usman, Mallam Muhammad Kakale Jabo, Rilwan Muhammad, Mal. Sani Sahabi Bodinga, Prof. Aminu Abubakar, Dr. Muhammad Wadata Hakimi and the Permanent Secretary of the state Ministry for Higher Education.
The remaining are: Dr Amamatu Yusuf, Dr Nasiru Daniya, representatives of the Sultanate Council, the state Ministry of Justice and the Sokoto State House of Assembly (SOHA) committee on Higher Education; while Kabir Umar Imam will serve as its Secretary.
The governor said the members were selected because of their experiences and capacities to do the job, as most of them have been in the academia either as lecturers, teachers or administrators of higher institutions, particularly universities, thus justifying the confidence reposed in their integrity and honour.
The governor expressed hope that their report will be implementable for the realization of this laudable objectives.
Special Adviser Media and Publicity to the Governor
Jan. 21, 2021No tags for this post.