The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) has released travel safety tips for Prospective Corps Members (PCMs) traveling across the country to their various Camps.
The NYSC Orientation Programme for the 2019 Batch ‘B’ Stream 1 Corps Members has been scheduled to commence on Tuesday, 18th June, 2019 nationwide.
Prospective Corps Members shall be traveling across the length and breath of the country to their various NYSC Camps for the exercise.
Travel Safety Tips For Prospective Corp Members – NYSC
Every PCMs should take note of the following travel safety tips and adhere strictly to them:
1. Every successful journey starts with a travel plan. PCMs, are enjoined to make adequate travel preparation before setting out on the journey. Therefore, you must ensure and crosscheck that you have packed all the relevant documents that will be requested at the point of registration. This is to guard against the danger of being asked to go back home and fetch the forgotten documents. Doing so will over expose you to our roads rife with so many dangers.
2. Thoroughly research your destinations before leaving your home.
3. DO NOT board a vehicle by the roadside because of attractive cheap fare. From research, we find out it is highway to disastrous ending. So many have fallen preys to armed robbers, kidnappers and ritualists due to such indiscreet action. You should board vehicles only from recognized parks.
4. Please, be conscious of your travel time. Journeys must be arranged in such a way that you arrive your destination latest 6:00 pm. Note that if it’s not possible to arrive your destination at the aforesaid time, please, break the journey.
5. Avoid unnecessary argument/discussion bordering on politics and religion, among others. You may unwittingly cause offence. Keep your views to yourself.
6. Be courteous, but don’t trust people too quickly and don’t be loud while answering telephone calls, so as not to unknowingly divulge information that may place you on harm’s way.
7. Watch your drinking habit. Alcohol dulls your senses. Always be sober.
8. Take only what you need for the journey. Don’t over burden yourself with load.
9. Dress normal. Don’t overdress. Conversely, don’t dress shabbily, since either way, you unduly stand out.
10. Please, keep a very close watch over your personal effects. It is advisable that you carry your vital documents (certificates, International passport etc) on you.
11. Don’t put valuables in your back pocket for that’s always the pickpocket’s first point of call. It’s safer to use your front pocket.
12. Keep your family and trusted friends updated on your itinerary.
The Director – General, Brigadier General Shuaibu Ibrahim wishes you travel mercies, as you proceed to the respective camps in obedience to the clarion call to serve the Nation for one calendar year.