The price of cement rose to between N2,200 and N2,300 in Lagos and other parts of the country.
Before the hike, a bag of cement costs about N1,600 marking over 35 percent rise in the cost of the raw material used in the building and construction industry.
Reacting to the development, 2nd Vice President Vice President, Nigeria Institute of Building (NIOB), Mr. Kunle Awobodu said the increase may have been as a result of cost of production and the devaluation of the naira.
He lamented that with the hike, the cost of construction will increase while the need for cost variation in all ongoing contracts and abandonment of projects may become inevitable, adding that it may also discourage people from embarking on new projects.
He said: “Clients, contractors and quantity surveyors may have disagreements due to price variations. New price on old contracts in a competitive bidding may eventually lead to sub-standardisation in construction.”
A cement distributor in Arepo, Ogun State said the new price came as a surprise, adding that it many have been occasioned by the current economic down-turn. Another distributor at Ajah area of Lagos, Mr. Kunle Salami said he has stopped his requests for more supplies as he is not sure of his customers reactions, considering the hardship being experienced in Nigeria presently.
- Meet The Nigerian Who Owns 5 Airports In The United Kingdom on
- ‘‘Guys Never Marry A Lady Above 30, She Is Close To Menopause And Likely To Give Birth To An Imbecile For You’’ – Baker writes on
- Contact Us on
- The Secret Most Nigerian Pastors Will Never Reveal to You About Tithing on
- Oyinbo In Kano To Wed Hausa Bride He Has Never Met, Accepts Islam, Changes Name (Photo) on
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Davido’s New N9.7 Billion Private Jet on
- Man Beats His Wife Black & Blue For Refusing Him $ex On Daily Basis (SEE Photos) on
- See What Happened After Fight Between Hausa Man And Igbo Men In Onitsha Market on
- #BBNaija: Khloe Explains Why She Was Unhappy When Miracle Won on
- #BBNaija: Cee-C’s Fans Reward Her With N2million Cheque (SEE Photos) on