Former Nigerian international, Garba Lawal has explained Victor Moses’ exclusion from the final three-man shortlist for the African Player of the Year 2017.
The former left winger said Moses’ persisting injury problem was responsible.
The decision by CAF has met a lot of questions as the 27-year-old helped Chelsea to the English Premier League title in a resurgent 2016-17 season.
Moses also played a key role as Nigeria booked a place in Russia 2018 World Cup ticket.
Lawal told Goal, “Salah was a fantastic player, scoring 14 goals already for Liverpool. He has won the BBC African player of the Year and playing week in, week out.
“Mane is doing okay too, likewise Aubameyang. All these three are doing fantastic football at the moment too because those contending with him are in form and made it really tough for him.
“Moses was in great form last season but the injury gave him no chance. I believe this was his time seeing his great form last season but when I saw Salah was also coming up, I knew it will be really difficult.
“As a footballer, when you have an injury, in football it is going to be difficult to recover quickly and compete strongly. I believe if four players were to be shortlisted, Moses should have been part of them. It is not easy playing consistently for a top team and luck been injury free.
“In the German Bundesliga too, Aubameyang is scoring a lot of goals for Borussia Dortmund and currently still in a very good form.
“It has been a long time that a Nigerian last won it and missing out again is very disturbing! This time, we thought the form of Victor Moses for Chelsea from last season would see him win it so easily,” he continued.
“But with what we are seeing now from Sarah and Mane, it is really very tight. If you will put the achievement and form of those players against each other, you will see the difference.
“But I believe if Moses continues to play week-in, week out at Chelsea, he will be in strong contention for the next award. He should just focus on his game and keep playing regularly.”
You May Also Like
- ‘‘Guys Never Marry A Lady Above 30, She Is Close To Menopause And Likely To Give Birth To An Imbecile For You’’ – Baker writes on
- Contact Us on
- The Secret Most Nigerian Pastors Will Never Reveal to You About Tithing on
- Oyinbo In Kano To Wed Hausa Bride He Has Never Met, Accepts Islam, Changes Name (Photo) on
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Davido’s New N9.7 Billion Private Jet on
- Man Beats His Wife Black & Blue For Refusing Him $ex On Daily Basis (SEE Photos) on
- See What Happened After Fight Between Hausa Man And Igbo Men In Onitsha Market on
- #BBNaija: Khloe Explains Why She Was Unhappy When Miracle Won on
- #BBNaija: Cee-C’s Fans Reward Her With N2million Cheque (SEE Photos) on
- “I Want To Have $ex With You” – Lady Tells Davido on