Lagos (AFP) – Authorities in Nigeria’s financial capital Lagos have shut down churches across the city after a glut of complaints over noisy worship.
The chaotic megacity’s environmental protection department said it had sealed off 22 premises on Wednesday after receiving dozens of calls a day, according to local newspaper reports.
Neighbours of one church — Jesus Our Lord Divine Catholic Prayer Ministry — said they were constantly disturbed by a congregation of mainly pregnant women, young mothers and their children.
“In the next five years, if there is no stringent policy on the siting of religious houses, there will be problem.”
Constant noise — from the the thumping beats of loud music, the beep of car horns and the noise of generator engines — is the soundtrack to Lagos life and is seen by many as part of its charm.
But residents are complaining in unprecedented numbers that they can barely hear themselves think among the churches and mosques where giant loudspeakers pump out religious messages and music.
Officials receive around 50 telephone calls and 20 text messages a day complaining about noise, mostly from churches, the New Telegraph said.
“With the enforcement today, we would have sealed about 55 premises because the last enforcement we carried out, we shut 33 premises,” Shabi told reporters.
“I gave approval for closure of 22 premises today, making 55.”
Religion is big business in Lagos, a city of around 20 million which has seen more than 6,000 traditional and alternative places of worship spring up in recent years, according to the authorities.
Shabi said the churches would be allowed to reopen after paying fines starting at 50,000 naira ($250, 225 euros).
You May Also Like
- ‘‘Guys Never Marry A Lady Above 30, She Is Close To Menopause And Likely To Give Birth To An Imbecile For You’’ – Baker writes on
- Contact Us on
- The Secret Most Nigerian Pastors Will Never Reveal to You About Tithing on
- Oyinbo In Kano To Wed Hausa Bride He Has Never Met, Accepts Islam, Changes Name (Photo) on
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Davido’s New N9.7 Billion Private Jet on
- Man Beats His Wife Black & Blue For Refusing Him $ex On Daily Basis (SEE Photos) on
- See What Happened After Fight Between Hausa Man And Igbo Men In Onitsha Market on
- #BBNaija: Khloe Explains Why She Was Unhappy When Miracle Won on
- #BBNaija: Cee-C’s Fans Reward Her With N2million Cheque (SEE Photos) on
- “I Want To Have $ex With You” – Lady Tells Davido on